The greater San Diego area is a bicyclist’s paradise. The best weather in the entire country combined with miles and miles of dedicated bike paths and beautiful beach, hills, and back road scenery compel thousands of riders to take to their pedals every day.
However, despite taking every precaution available, riders still assume a certain level of risk when they hop on a bike and go for a ride
Unfortunately, accidents and injuries take place all the time. Some are due to the riders’ own carelessness, but many other times, the blame rests squarely on other cyclists, cars and trucks, or even unsafe road conditions. The fact that cyclists wear so little protection means that bicycle accidents can lead to serious injuries ranging from severe road rashes and scrapes to broken bones, to back, head, and spinal cord injuries. In a few cases, bicycle accident can be fatal too.
When an accident takes place due to someone else’s carelessness, a rider can seek damages to recover costs associated with medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other related costs. While many personal injury attorneys will handle bicycle accident cases, it is best to seek out an experienced attorney who specializes in bicycle accident cases. This is because bike accidents are a special subset of personal injury law and require specialized knowledge to properly take on a case.
There are many ways to work with a bicycle accident attorney and pursue a claim
If you are injured while riding a bicycle due to someone else’s actions, there are many ways to pursue a claim. Among others, these may include:
- Negligence by a vehicle driver
- Negligence by another bicycle rider
- Mechanical failure of a bike
- Violations of the California Vehicle Code
- Bad faith by an insurance company
- Unrealized dangers in construction zones
Bicycle accident attorneys have specialized knowledge
You stand the best chance of getting the biggest settlement when you deal with an attorney who understands California bicycling laws and can put that specialized knowledge to work on your behalf. An attorney’s knowledge should include:
- Bicycle safety and traffic laws
- Negotiating with insurance companies related to bicycle accident cases
- Going to court and trying bicycle cases in front of a judge and jury
- The technical skills involved in riding a bicycle, including the names and functions of all bicycle components
- The ability to successfully reconstruct a bicycle vs. car accident in great detail
- The ability to determine the value of lost riding time, and if a case warrants, the ability to place a value on the permanent loss or diminished loss of being able to ride a bike.
The Law Offices of Donald D. Hiney serves clients in San Diego, Chula Vista, and surrounding San Diego communities.