Because the legal concept of proving negligence is common to all kinds of accident cases, lawyers who practice in this area of law will handle many different types of cases. This can include car, truck and motorcycle accidents, slip and fall, boating, construction, or premises liability accidents, and just about any other type of situation where negligence results in injuries.
What to expect when you contact an accident lawyer
When you are involved in an accident of any kind, even if your injuries appear to be minor at first, it is critical to contact an accident lawyer to protect your interests. Unless you are in the legal profession yourself, you will be dealing with a number of entities, perhaps for the first time. If you do not handle these contacts the right way, you could end up costing yourself and your family dearly, instead of being compensated fairly for any injuries you have sustained.
An accident attorney can help you sort out many important questions you may be facing:
- How serious were your injuries and what level of medical attention will you require over the short and the long-term before you make a full recovery?
- How should you deal with insurance companies who approach you early in the process and want to settle as soon as possible?
- What are your responsibilities and rights when it comes to dealing with attorneys representing the defendants in a suit?
- What happens if your own insurance company engages an attorney to look out for their interests?
- What options do you have if you believe your insurance provider is not acting in good faith on your behalf?
- Do you know when it is best to go all the way to a trial and when it is best to seek a settlement?
- How much should you expect in a settlement?
- What are the areas that you can seek compensation for, whether it is in trial or during negotiation?
A few key things to look for when retaining an accident lawyer
San Diego has many talented accident lawyers, but you need to focus on finding the one that will do the best job for your specific situation. Ideally, the attorney you retain will have experience in the exact same kind of accident case that you are involved with, whether it is a car accident, a slip and fall case, a construction site accident, and so forth. Your attorney should also be an excellent negotiator since most all accident cases are settled instead of going to trial. You will want to settle if you can because it saves you time, money, stress, and the burden of having to put your life on hold.
The Law Offices of Donald D. Hiney serves clients in San Diego, Chula Vista, and surrounding San Diego communities.